At my main desktop 'production' partition I work with Kubuntu Karmic.
In December 2009, I added via "Adept" this backport to the list of
'software resources' from which to take automatic updates:
<a href="http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu" title="http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu">http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu</a>
I did so at that moment with a view to upgrading to KDE 4.3, which was
a stable version with several useful bug fixes and good new features.
My experience with KDE 4.3. was simply good - already immediately
after installing it. That's why, I maintained the backport at the
software resources list, because I thought I would need it for regular
updates for KDE 4.3. That's why a whole bunch of updates came in last
week: an automatic upgrade to KDE 4.4. Along with that upgrade, some
complications came in as well. I did manage to find some 'workarounds'
for all of them - I wrote about them in another recent thread
dedicated to this issue. However, I needed a few hours to find those
workarounds - in a period full of time pressure because of several
deadlines I need to deal with. Now, I am fine, though KDE 4.4. still
has some rough edges I need to work 'around' - that's why, I do want
to get bug fix and security updates for it, if any. On the other hand,
I do not want to get a new KDE upgrade before I will upgrade myself my
production partition to Kubuntu 10.04 LTS. That's why I am wondering
how I can safeguard and stabilise this production partition in this
fabric of circumstances, for the time being. I see a few options:
IMMEDIATELY CLOSING THE BACKPORT?
After the automatic upgrade to KDE 4.4., I read several warnings not
to keep open a backport at a production machine.
For sure I will shut down the backport at the production partition
after the upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04 LTS, probably in May 2010.
@ Dotan and other developers: at my desktop PC, I have another
partition at which I still have Kubuntu 7.10, which I do not use any
more. I am happy to install at that partition in a later stage
experimental software with a view to evaluating it and filling in bug
reports. I will come back to this, when relevant.
With respect to the production partition: I am doubting whether it is
wise to close the backport already now. My configuration has upgraded
now to KDE 4.4. I do not want to make complications with a view to
rolling back that upgrade. I am wondering how I can get useful bug
fixes for KDE 4.4., without getting a new automatic upgrade to KDE
KEEPING THE BACKPORT OPEN UNTIL THE UPGRADE TO THE STABLE VERSION OF
KUBUNTU 10.04 LTS?
I am considering this option with a view to getting useful bug fixes
and security updates for KDE 4.4. On the other hand, I am not waiting
for another time consuming upgrade to KDE 4.5. at my production
partition. So, my question is: will there be any backport upgrade to
KDE 4.5. before June 2010? If so, let me know please, when, so that I
can close the backport in time.
ANY OTHER APPROACH YOU COULD RECOMMEND ME?
Is there any other possible approach you could recommend me with a
view to getting useful updates for KDE 4.4 without upgrading to 4.5?
WHAT ABOUT THE NETBOOK (Asus Eee PC 1001 HA)?
This netbook, mentioned in another thread, will also be a production
machine. What would you recommend me to do after installing Kubuntu
* sticking to the KDE version coming with the install and 'normal' updates?
* upgrading to KDE 4.3?
* any other option?
OK, this is it for now. Thanks for your your possible feedback,
|Flash Plugin says installed, but prompts for installation in firefox||3|
|Kmix issues. May you help?||19|
|kontact/kmail needs X reset after resume||3|
|Re: Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox||1|
|Aptitude vs. apt-get||9|
|** resolved ** Re: Multimedia problem.** thanks **||0|