DevHeads.net

Development

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-05-31

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-05-31" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-05-31">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-05-31</a>

Kimchi & Ginger in Ubuntu outdated and broken - update or remove them

Hi Aline and Frederic,
I came along this issue to drop the libvirt-bin dependency [1], but I had
to realize that kimchi and ginger hang outdated in the archive since a way
too long time.

TL;DR:
- initial upload in wily
- no fix/update since then
- upstream development continued
- in newer releases broken lacking the upstream fixes
- upstream provides out of tree .debs to install

I hereby try to reach out to the maintainers that drove the initial uploads
into Ubuntu and the recent .deb packages hosted by the kimchi-project.

If you are willing and able to update kimchi/ginger to a working sta

New PPU rights for zfsutils-linux and spl-linux for Colin King

Hello everyone!

After the recent DMB e-mail vote we have granted Colin King the
additional PPU rights for the following packages:

zfsutils-linux
spl-linux

Congratulations!

Best regards,

Status of Ubuntu Packaging Guide

Hi all,

There are many problems with the current state of our Packaging Guide [1]:

* Half of it talks about Ubuntu Distributed Development, which is no longer
a living thing.
* Another part is a bit outdated, as it is mostly unmaintained, while our
tools and methods continuously evolve.

Suggested deadline for 17.10 installer slideshow updates

Hi,

Last cycle, we've had a fair number of pretty late slideshow updates,
and I had to do some amounts of manual translation mangling to fix
issues. I'd like to avoid that this cycle, and for future cycles, too.

Please see this as a reminder that it's a good idea to update the
desktop installer slideshows early (and now is a great time to do
that!), and often. I will try to track down a new "mascot" image for
17.10 right away.

I would like to suggest we also collectively attempt to stick to a
"stricter" schedule for slideshow updates.

Server Team meetings: 2017-05-16

Minutes and action items from today's server team meeting are now posted
and available here:
<a href="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-05-16-16.02.html" title="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-05-16-16.02.html">http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2...</a>

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Hi everyone,

The process of adding Python 3.6 as a supported version has begun.

The transition tracker is here:

<a href="https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/html/python3.5-6.html" title="https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/html/python3.5-6.html">https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/html/python3.5-...</a>

and I'm currently working my way down the list.

I did a test rebuild of all/most dependent packages in a ppa:

<a href="https://launchpad.net/~mwhudson/+archive/ubuntu/devirt/+packages" title="https://launchpad.net/~mwhudson/+archive/ubuntu/devirt/+packages">https://launchpad.net/~mwhudson/+archive/ubuntu/devirt/+packages</a>

And compiled some terse notes on the failures here:

<a href="http://paste.ubuntu.com/24557408/" title="http://paste.ubuntu.com/24557408/">http://paste.ubuntu.com/24557408/</a>

And help resolving the failures would be appreciated (especially pandas!)

Cheers,
mwh

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-05-09

Minutes and action items from today's server team meeting are now posted
and available here:
*https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-05-09-16.03.html
<https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-05-09-16.03.html>*

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

Change of scope and target market for i386

######
NB! this is a mailing list for developers, and this is a _proposal_
that I want to discuss with the *buntu developers.

sqlalchemy 1.1 for artful

Hi All

sqlalchemy 1.0.x has been creating some awkward unit test races in some
OpenStack projects (specifically neutron, and I'm fed up of hitting
rebuild); I've started work on the transition to sqlalchemy 1.1.x for
artful in:

<a href="https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/2739/+packages" title="https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/2739/+packages">https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/2739/+packages</a>

reverse-depends currently have versioned Depends on sqlachemy - a no-change
rebuild is required to update those.

Cheers

James

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-04-25

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-04-25" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-04-25">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-04-25</a>

Removal of upstart and cgmanager from Artful Aardvark

Upstart and CGManager have been in maintenance mode for a few releases
now. The primary users of upstart & CGManager were Mobile (Unity
Touch) and Unity8 desktop sessions. Upstart is used in those session
to provide user session supervisor and implement application
lifecycle.

Currently, ubuntu-app-launch has been ported to provide application
lifecycle using systemd. However, neither of the two session packages
were ported to kick off touch/unity8 sessions exclusively under
systemd.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-04-25

Minutes and action times from today's server team meeting are now posted
available here:
<a href="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-04-25-16.01.html" title="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-04-25-16.01.html">https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting....</a>

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-04-18

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 18 Apr at 16:01 &mdash; 16:32 UTC
* Full logs at
[[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-04-18-16.01.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:01.

* ''ACTION:'' rbasak, powersj, cpaelzer to draft mysql triage
response page like nginx has (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' smoser to write a release notes entry on cloud-init
(ds-identify) (carried over)
* ''ACTION:''

Does the backporters team need help?

Hi. I was just looking and I noticed backport bugs piling up:

<a href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/xenial-backports" title="https://bugs.launchpad.net/xenial-backports">https://bugs.launchpad.net/xenial-backports</a>

Once, long ago, I was going to join the effort, but my time for Ubuntu
has been pretty limited. That said, if y'all need help, I can probably
throw an hour at these kinds of things every month or so.

Could Canonical consider relicensing libcolumbus?

libcolumbus is a library for search that allows Unity and the HUD to
still show you relevant results if you misspelled a word. For more
details, see Jono's announcement post.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-03-28

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-meeting, 28 Mar at 16:03 &mdash; 16:23 UTC
* Full logs at [[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-28-16.03.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started at 16:03.

* ''ACTION:'' rbasak, powersj, cpaelzer to draft mysql triage response page like nginx has (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' smoser to write a release notes entry on cloud-init (ds-identify)
* ''ACTION:'' nacc to writ

Keyboard short-cuts

Hi All,

I particularly like Ubuntu's keyboard short-cuts. Most (if not all) of my
friends at the Tyneside LUG are unaware of them. I was thinking of writing
a mini-article about them for the ACCU's CVu magazine and I was wondering
if there is a page out there that lists them? I know if you hold the
"super/Windows" key, you get a list of some of the short-cuts and was
wondering if they were also listed on a web page.

Thanks :)

Ian

Second Ubuntu Zesty Zapus test rebuilds (all components, all architectures, GCC 7)

The second test rebuild of Zesty Zapus was started on March 22 for all
architectures, all components (main component and seeded packages finished,
unseeded packages still building).

For arm64 and armhf the gcc-6 packages are based on the Linaro 6-2017.03
snapshot.

Results (please also look at the superseded builds) can be found at

<a href="http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/rebuilds/test-rebuild-20170322.1-zesty.html" title="http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/rebuilds/test-rebuild-20170322.1-zesty.html">http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/rebuilds/test-rebuild-20170322.1-zesty.html</a>

Additional build failures for packages in zesty-proposed (not yet in zesty)
can be found at <a href="http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/ftbfs/" title="http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/ftbfs/">http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/ftbfs/</a>

Please help fixing the build failures.

Another test rebuild u

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-03-21

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-03-21" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-03-21">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-03-21</a>

SRU quality and preventing regressions

I'm fairly new to ~ubuntu-sru, and I noticed a couple of things that I
think we could do better in terms of preventing SRU regressions:

1) Actual consideration of how regressions might manifest in "Regression
Potential" paperwork.

2) A description of what was actually tested when marking
"verification-done".

Both of these are already requirements of the SRU process, but many
uploaders appear to be unaware of this. Since I started on ~ubuntu-sru,
I have been following the process and either fixing up or deferring SRUs
that do not follow the process.

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-03-14

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-03-14" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-03-14">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-03-14</a>

aptdaemon

I believe aptdaemon is effectively abandoned. It's been removed from Debian
but it's still hanging around in Ubuntu due to a few reverse dependencies:

% reverse-depends aptdaemon
Reverse-Depends
===============
* gnome-software
* language-selector-gnome
* oem-config-gtk
* python-aptdaemon
* python3-aptdaemon
* sessioninstaller

I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary. I can't find a
reference to aptdaemon in the source, and I built a version without it in my
PPA, tested it in a Zesty VM and it worked fine afaict.

Ubuntu Server Meeting minutes (14.3.17)

Hello,

Minutes and action items from today's server team meeting are now
posted at: <a href="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-14-16.02.html" title="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-14-16.02.html">http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2...</a>

Next weeks' agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks,
Nish

Regarding linux-tools

Hello,

When I tried to run the perf performance analysis tool (which is a part of
the kernel) on kernel v4.9.x or v4.10.x, I realized that the linux-tools
package of the respective kernel versions on which it depends are not yet
included in the Ubuntu repository. Also, I could not find them online to
compile them on my own.

Is this because the linux-tools and linux-cloud-tools packages have not
been updated for these versions of the kernel? Could I know approximately
when they will be updated?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am running Ubuntu xenial.

-Rohan

Sponsorship queue squashing party

I propose to get some sponsors together on a nominated day with a goal of
getting the sponsorship queue down to zero (current count 62).

We could have sponsors on hand on IRC (#ubuntu-devel), together if possible
with SRU, archive admin and release team members available to close feedback
loops so we can get everything that is suitable landed appropriately.

Since it is after feature freeze, I propose that anything in the queue that is
ready for upload but not suitable at this point in the cycled be reviewed
regardless so that it is ready to go in as soon as Zesty+1 opens.

pkgstripfiles killed during build

Hi all,

I get a strange error with “mathjax” package on Ubuntu buildds.

One of the binary packages (fonts-mathjax-extras) contains a lot of small
PNG files.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-03-07

Minutes and action times from today's server team meeting are now posted
available here:
<a href="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-07-16.01.html" title="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-07-16.01.html">https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting....</a>

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-02-28

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-02-28" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-02-28">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-02-28</a>

PSA: Pending Stable Release Updates

Have you ever sponsored an SRU and wanted to help with the verification
(since that's the right thing to do!) but then forgotten what you
sponsored?

Well, do I have news for you - the Pending SRU report[1] now displays
information about who uploaded and sponsored the package.

Have a look and see what you should help verify.

[1] <a href="http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html" title="http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html">http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html</a>

Thanks,

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-02-28

Minutes and action times from today's server team meeting are now posted
available here:
<a href="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-28-16.00.html" title="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-28-16.00.html">https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting....</a>

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-02-21

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 21 Feb at 16:00 &mdash; 16:31 UTC
* Full logs at
[[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-21-16.00.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:00.

* ''LINK:'' <a href="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-14-16.00.html" title="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-14-16.00.html">https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting....</a>
* rbasak completed MRs
* rbasak to work with powersj on seeds (iotop & nicstat)
* ''ACTION:'' rbasak to wor

Pilot report

pad.lv/1668093 - some debugging, and setting up a bisect run to spot the
offending patch helping the reporter to get to upstream with better data.

pad.lv/1668557 - helped with performance analysis on IRC ending up
identifying the fix in linux-stable and the tuning to get it fixed.

Since proper triaging is one of the patch pilots tasks as well I was
looking at forgotten server bugs and eventually were triaging 100 (no fake,
It really sums up to exactly hundred 3+3+1+10+5+19+22+6+5+16+10 from our
triage queue) bugs that were still in "new" or had no update for quite a
while.
Not so much pilot-

upcoming changes to Ubuntu cloud images via cloud-init

In an effort to improve the performance and efficiency of Ubuntu's cloud
images[1], cloud-init is making some changes in the way that it searches
for datasources.

Enabling Connectivity Checking in NetworkManager

Hi, back in July 2012 on this list, it was proposed that Ubuntu's
NetworkManager enable the new connectivity check feature by default.
Some concerns were raised and the feature never landed. I'd like to
reopen that discussion.

In 2014, Fedora enabled that feature by default but they did it using
a separate package. I really like this idea since it makes it very
easy for users to opt in or out of the connectivity check if they
choose.

I am proposing that we create a similar package.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-02-14

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 14 Feb at 16:00 &mdash; 16:34 UTC
* Full logs at [[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-14-16.00.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started at 16:00.

* No actions from previous meeting.

=== Development Release ===
The discussion about "Development Release" started at 16:00.

* ''LINK:'' <a href="https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-z-server-core" title="https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-z-server-core">https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-z-server-core</a>
* Var

pilot report

Got a little distracted by my own uploads, but:

pad.lv/1663754: merge src:deluge
pad.lv/1663329: sponsor sync of src:nagios-npre
pad.lv/1550210: updated with comment regarding imagemagick merge (stuck
in proposed due to emacs25), may need to re-merge (and pick up Debian
fix) next week
pad.lv/1564778: added comment asking for corrected versioning of SRUs

This last bug had me a bit stumped -- the underlying issue is a
src:sane-backends issue when upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04. The only
release that needs the fix is 16.04, as that's the gate for upgrades
from 14.04.

locale issue in phpmyadmin build

phpmyadmin has been stuck in z-p for some time because of a testcase
failure (tests were only recently updated to run during the build) and
it seems to be a locale/iconv issue. The testcase in question is
attempting to //TRANSLIT the euro symbol, and iconv issues an error on
the euro symbol under C.UTF-8. I am able to reproduce this on the shell
a la: <a href="http://paste.ubuntu.com/23962998/" title="http://paste.ubuntu.com/23962998/">http://paste.ubuntu.com/23962998/</a>

I noticed the POSIX behavior, in contrast, because my lxd container
where I was testing was working and that was the default locale.

Which openssl for zesty?

A few months ago, Ubuntu was hesitant to do the openssl 1.1 transition
because not all packages would work with the new version.

Could we make a decision about what's going to be done for zesty?

If we stick with basically the yakkety stack, we'll need to
temporarily revert changes in several Debian packages that make them
fail to build on Ubuntu currently.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Kubuntu packages in NEW queue - request to review and accept

Originally sent by Rik Mills, but email doesn't seem to have made it
to the list, so I resent from my email to see if it would go.

Hi.

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-12-20 through 2017-01-31

I'm catching up on outstanding admin, having failed to write up minutes
from server team meetings promptly.

Ask for guidance on packaging sources with multiple libraries

Hi,
I'm reaching out to you to get some guidance how to handle a soname
versioning issue I didn't face before.

*TL;DR:*
How to correctly package a source creating libraries with individual ABI's
bumped separately but that depend on each other and due to that ending up
in mixed versions in the executable after ld.so mapped in dependencies?
I'm reaching out to you as this is a case I have no experience with.
I've thought and discussed on several solutions but I'm sure on none of
them yet.

- Compat packages with symlinks to the new .so version as it has ABI
backward compat symbols
- Ha

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-01-31

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-31" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-31">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-31</a>

Unblocking SRU uploader permissions

I'm writing to ubuntu-devel with my DMB hat because I'd like to hear the
opinions of existing Ubuntu developers.

Eric and Dave both work for STS - Sustaining Engineering (L3 support), a
department within Canonical. They've both applied to the DMB recently.
Both are motivated primarily by the need to drive SRUs without
unnecessary review queue delays. Right now, they get blocked on needing
sponsorship for most of their work.

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-01-24

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-24" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-24">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-24</a>

First Python 3.6 test rebuild for Zesty

Python 3.6 was released at the end of 2016. It's available in Zesty (as it
was in Yakkety), but it is not yet a supported version, so many things won't
work (e.g. any package with an extension module).

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2017-01-17

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-17" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-17">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2017-01-17</a>

To access IPP-over-USB printer: Emulate remote machine in the network

it was a network printer, without VM with it's own kernel

Hi,

I am developing the ippusbxd daemon to support IPP-over-USB printers:

<a href="https://github.com/tillkamppeter/ippusbxd/" title="https://github.com/tillkamppeter/ippusbxd/">https://github.com/tillkamppeter/ippusbxd/</a>

Modern network printers use IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) for clients
communicating with them. Also CUPS uses this protocol.

Proposal: removing net-tools from ubuntu-minimal in 17.04

Hi all,

Starting last month, Debian has been discussing dropping net-tools[1], which
prompted me to review its status in Ubuntu. This package, which provides
various commands like ifconfig and netstat, is currently part of
ubuntu-minimal. However, the tools in this package are largely considered
superseded by iproute2, providing 'ip' and 'ss' tools that interface much
better with modern kernels. And iproute2 is also part of ubuntu-minimal.

Is there a reason to keep net-tools in ubuntu-minimal, or should we remove
it from the minimal set for 17.04?

Make systemd journal persistent | remove rsyslog (by default)

Hi,

In debugging a shutdown issue I came across a bug [1] that indicates
for us to get better logs [2] during shutdown we really need to make
the systemd journal persistent. We would also need to remove rsyslog
by default so we don't have duplicate writing of logs to disk.

Aside from shutdown logs we also get a lot of other nice metadata.
For instance, you can ask for all the logs since a certain date. You
can trivially view the logs from 2 boots ago.

The negative is it is in a binary format and you have to use
journalctl to read it.

I'm sure I missed some positives/negatives.

netplan and post-up/pre-down scripts

Hi all,

Recently, I was working on a project that led me to become frustrated
with the current state of `systemd` and `ifupdown` (e.g.
/etc/network/interfaces or /e/n/i) in Xenial. I remembered that
`netplan`[1] was under development, so I added the PPA for Xenial and gave
it a try. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the issue for me[2]...

makedumpfile : kernel version is not supported

Hello,

The upstream version of makedumpfile does a verification of the kernel version
being used and issue the message "kernel version is not supported" if it finds
that the kernel being used it newer than the latest version that upstream has
tested.

This causes repetitive bug reports when we push new kernels out, especially in
LTS releases even if, the crash file produced by makedumpfile remains valid.
Upstream adapt to the latest kernel version in each major release, so doing an
SRU of the major release is not a valid solution.

Since kernel specific changes to makedumpfile are small, they

Weird new misbehavior on Zesty (schroot/sbuild DNS)

I've been chasing a new misbehavior I first noticed just before the holidays,
but didn't get a chance to investigate until now. I'd file a bug, but I'm
really not sure where the problem is yet. I'm not even positive that it's a
bug in the software stack or in my LAN or other local environment, although I
strongly suspect the former.

I've been able to reproduce it twice now, so let's see if I can explain what's
going on and whether anyone else has seen it, or has ideas where to look.

Your squid3 changes in 3.5.12-1ubuntu4

Hi Steve,

I'm working on a merge of squid3. I've understood most of your changes
in 3.5.12-1ubuntu4, but am having trouble following a few small pieces
of it.

Call for testing: Driverless printing on Zesty

Hi,

Here is something nice to try out during the holidays or to save some
Christmas present which you got from a not so Linux-savvy relative.

Are you using Zesty and do you have a (network) printer which you never
got working with Linux?

It is possible that Zesty is now able to make it work. Zesty supports
printing on IPP Everywhere printers and on printers supporting Apple
AirPrint (these are the printers where you can print from your iPhone or
iPad).

Please try the following:

Have the printer connected to your network. It works with wired Ethernet
or WiFi.

Ubuntu Kernel Team - Weekly Newsletter, 2016-12-20

Hello,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has published this weeks newsletter[0].

The Newsletter is published weekly. It contains highlights from the
week, announcements regarding the development and stable kernels, as
well as any other news the Kernel Team may have.

Sincerely,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[0] <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2016-12-20" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2016-12-20">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Newsletter/2016-12-20</a>

Using the dummy0 interface for a local-only service to be broadcasted by Avahi

[ TL;DR: Skip to "Adding dummy0 interface to the distro" ]

Hi,

as most of you know I am working on the printing stack, and one part of
it is IPP-over-USB. IPP is the Internet Printing Protocol, a
sophisticated network protocol to access printers and multi-function
devices in a way that one cannot only send out print jobs, but also
monitor their status, and especially poll capability info from the
printers.

How to push a security update to Xenial and Zesty

Hi everyone,

I'm upstream and Debian maintainer of `tarantool` package [1][2].
We received two CVE notifications yesterday.

Looking for list moderators

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for additional moderators for some of our mailing lists.

It's not a lot of work, it's just a matter of setting up the listadmin
tool and running it regularly. In a lot of cases our spam filters let
some mails through, in other cases there are genuine mails which need
moderation.

Syndicate content