DevHeads.net

Postings by Robie Basak

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-08-29

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 29 Aug at 16:00 — 16:21 UTC
* Full logs at [[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-08-29-16.00.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started at 16:00.

* ''ACTION:'' nacc to write a release notes entry on ipv6 netboot (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' nacc to write a server guide entry on ipv6 netboot (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' rbasak to add maintainership info to mys

"git ubuntu clone": what tags do you expect to see locally?

"git ubuntu clone <package>" is like "git clone", but also knows the URL
and some sensible default refspecs.

If you then run "git tag", which tags do you expect to have
automatically been fetched for you?

In our imported repositories in Launchpad, we have one tag for every
single source package published in both Ubuntu and Debian. For a typical
package, this is a particularly large number.

git workflow: current status

I thought I'd write up a little on where we are at the moment. This
isn't a future roadmap; it's just an explanation of where we are right
now, including workarounds we're using to make progress in dogfooding
until we have our better planned solutions in place. There are obvious
improvements to most of this. We are working on them.

* There's a classic snap "git-ubuntu", which is the easiest way of
consuming the tooling.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-06-13

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server, 13 Jun at 16:01 &mdash; 16:12 UTC
* Full logs at [[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-06-13-16.01.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started at 16:02.

* ''ACTION:'' rbasak to add maintainership info to mysql triage page (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' rharper to write a server guide entry on v2 yaml support in cloud-init (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' rharper to write a rel

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-03-28

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-meeting, 28 Mar at 16:03 &mdash; 16:23 UTC
* Full logs at [[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-28-16.03.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started at 16:03.

* ''ACTION:'' rbasak, powersj, cpaelzer to draft mysql triage response page like nginx has (carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' smoser to write a release notes entry on cloud-init (ds-identify)
* ''ACTION:'' nacc to writ

SRU quality and preventing regressions

I'm fairly new to ~ubuntu-sru, and I noticed a couple of things that I
think we could do better in terms of preventing SRU regressions:

1) Actual consideration of how regressions might manifest in "Regression
Potential" paperwork.

2) A description of what was actually tested when marking
"verification-done".

Both of these are already requirements of the SRU process, but many
uploaders appear to be unaware of this. Since I started on ~ubuntu-sru,
I have been following the process and either fixing up or deferring SRUs
that do not follow the process.

Sponsorship queue squashing party

I propose to get some sponsors together on a nominated day with a goal of
getting the sponsorship queue down to zero (current count 62).

We could have sponsors on hand on IRC (#ubuntu-devel), together if possible
with SRU, archive admin and release team members available to close feedback
loops so we can get everything that is suitable landed appropriately.

Since it is after feature freeze, I propose that anything in the queue that is
ready for upload but not suitable at this point in the cycled be reviewed
regardless so that it is ready to go in as soon as Zesty+1 opens.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-02-14

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 14 Feb at 16:00 &mdash; 16:34 UTC
* Full logs at [[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-02-14-16.00.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started at 16:00.

* No actions from previous meeting.

=== Development Release ===
The discussion about "Development Release" started at 16:00.

* ''LINK:'' <a href="https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-z-server-core" title="https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-z-server-core">https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-z-server-core</a>
* Var

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-12-20 through 2017-01-31

I'm catching up on outstanding admin, having failed to write up minutes
from server team meetings promptly.

Unblocking SRU uploader permissions

I'm writing to ubuntu-devel with my DMB hat because I'd like to hear the
opinions of existing Ubuntu developers.

Eric and Dave both work for STS - Sustaining Engineering (L3 support), a
department within Canonical. They've both applied to the DMB recently.
Both are motivated primarily by the need to drive SRUs without
unnecessary review queue delays. Right now, they get blocked on needing
sponsorship for most of their work.

Your squid3 changes in 3.5.12-1ubuntu4

Hi Steve,

I'm working on a merge of squid3. I've understood most of your changes
in 3.5.12-1ubuntu4, but am having trouble following a few small pieces
of it.

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-08-30

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:00.

ACTION: cpaelzer and rbasak to review new triaging section in
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase</a>

LINK: <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule</a>

LINK:
<a href="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server" title="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server">http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.ht...</a>

Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)

The discussion about "Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)" started at 16:03.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (powersj)

The discussion about "Weekly Update

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-09-06

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:00.

Development Release

The discussion about "Development Release" started at 16:02.

LINK: <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule</a>

LINK:
<a href="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server" title="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server">http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.ht...</a>

LINK: <a href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qemu/+bug/1541902" title="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qemu/+bug/1541902">https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qemu/+bug/1541902</a>
for awareness, ibm developers seeking to backport some qemu 2.7
functionality specific to ppc64 into our 2.6; will assess risk/viability
once we see the

ntp and ntpdate

we don't use it any more.

(I've Bcc'd the Debian NTP Team because it seemed appropriate to stay
connected and for them to be aware of this discussion, but I don't
expect any action from Debian on this - this is mostly a discussion for
Ubuntu. This thread can be followed at
<a href="https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/" title="https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/">https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/</a>)

There are a bunch of outstanding bugs[1][2][3] in the behaviour of the
ntpdate package. When Christian merged ntp this cycle[4], he found/wrote
fixes for these bugs.

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-05-10

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:00.

No actions from previous meeting.

Development Release

The discussion about "Development Release" started at 16:00.

Release Bugs (16:01)

LINK:
<a href="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server" title="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server">http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.ht...</a>
rbasak noted that nacc's git importer will be online sometime
this week, and merges will then be able to progress more easily.

"Server" package merges and duplicated effort

We have a few new developers inside Canonical getting mentoring for
merges and general archive maintenance now, including three developers
on the server team working on getting uploads under their belts.

We've had three instances now where multiple people have worked on the
same thing, causing wasted work and frustration, despite trying (or
attempting to) coordinate on #ubuntu-devel and/or with the TIL holder.

Unfortunately as they're being mentored the work/review/upload waterfall
does take much longer than if an uploader does it, and this opens the
window wider to conflicts.

I'm tracking

Server team meeting minutes: 2015-11-17

* rbasak listed areas that he thinks needs looking at before Xenial
feature freeze on 18 Feb. hallyn pointed out that this should be in a
blueprint, so rbasak agreed to take an action to create one.

Server team meeting minutes: 2015-06-30

The meeting was very short with little that needed discussion.

* matsubara will be performing SRU verification on bug 1443735
"recordfail false positive causes headless servers to hang on boot by
default".

* The ODS for Tokyo submission is open.

* No meeting actions were assigned.

* The next meeting will be on Tue Jul 7 16:00:00 UTC 2015 in
#ubuntu-meeting.

Full agenda and log: <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20150630" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20150630">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20150630</a>

Server team meeting minutes: 2015-03-24

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:00.

* dannf will look at bug 1427406 "data corruption on arm64" soon

* Bug 1432715 "tomcat7 ftbfs in vivd (test failures)" is waiting on a
fix in Debian

* hallyn has updated the QA Team section assignee to matsubara

* matsubara did file a bug for libpam-systemd's dependency problem,
but this is no longer relevant, has been marked Invalid, and he will
follow up on further test failures in the QA topic later in the
meeting.

Vivid Development

Th

ntp by default on servers in Vivid

I'd like to seed ntp in both server and cloud-image in Vivid. Servers
should maintain the correct time by default. Please make any objections
now.

Right now, ntpdate is seeded in minimal. It makes little sense to have
both ntpdate and ntp installed.

So is there some mechanism I can use to have ntpdate not appear in
server and cloud images? I think we need to move ntpdate out of minimal
for this. Would it be acceptable to move ntpdate to the desktop-common
seed or something?

To try and confirm that this is sensible for all use cases, here's a
brainstromed list.

Patch pilot report: 2014-09-25

94 items at start, 68 when done, though I think others must have been
working through the queue at the same time since that definitely wasn't
all me.

That's most of what was in the red for unseeded packages looked at. I
skipped the GL/GLES armhf stuff since I'm not familiar enough and cannot
test. Could someone more familiar with this take care of these, please?

I can't close the MPs.

My git-based Ubuntu package merge workflow

I thought it was about time that I shared my own merge workflow, as I
think it is quite different from most other Ubuntu developers. I'm an
advanced git user (even a fanatic, perhaps), and I make extensive use of
git's interactive rebase feature. To me, an Ubuntu package merge is just
a rebase in git's terminology, and in this case I use git as nothing
more than an advanced patchset manager.

I find my workflow allows me to handle arbitrarily complex package
merges - something I've not been able to do any other way.

Server team meeting minutes: 2014-07-29

==== U Development ====
The discussion about "U Development" started at 16:00.

* Feature freeze is August 21. Note Debian Import Freeze is coming up
as well.
* The mysql /var/lib/mysql discussion is proceeding, but it seems
unlikely that this will happen by feature freeze now.

Patch pilot report: 2014-06-03

<a href="https://code.launchpad.net/~chris-good/ubuntu/trusty/netkit-rwall/fix-for-1277981/+merge/216563" title="https://code.launchpad.net/~chris-good/ubuntu/trusty/netkit-rwall/fix-for-1277981/+merge/216563">https://code.launchpad.net/~chris-good/ubuntu/trusty/netkit-rwall/fix-fo...</a>
already reviewed by mitya57, awaiting response.

<a href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netkit-rwall/+bug/1277981" title="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netkit-rwall/+bug/1277981">https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netkit-rwall/+bug/1277981</a> -
duplicate, unsubscribed.

<a href="https://code.launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/ubuntu/utopic/libreoffice-dictionaries/swedish-builds/+merge/217236" title="https://code.launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/ubuntu/utopic/libreoffice-dictionaries/swedish-builds/+merge/217236">https://code.launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/ubuntu/utopic/libreoffice-dictionar...</a>
- not comfortable reviewing (libreoffice + translations).

Fwd: Standard location to install device tree files?

Any comments from the Ubuntu side of things, please? Replies should
probably go to the cross-distro list, I guess. The thread is at:

<a href="http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/cross-distro/2014-May/000676.html" title="http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/cross-distro/2014-May/000676.html">http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/cross-distro/2014-May/000676.html</a>

Robie

Server team meeting minutes: 2014-04-08

A few last pieces are being worked in the last couple of days to final
freeze.

* James Page is struggling to find a release team member to review the
docker.io feature freeze exception request (bug 1295093).

* The juju-quickstart MIR is deferred; Robie will upload some final
bugfixes soon.

* Louis is working on some last minute fixes to sosreport.

* Parameswaran reports that all smoke tests are passing.

* Stefan is polishing some last pieces in Xen and libvirt.

Full minutes: <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140408" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140408">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140408</a>
Log:
<a href="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ub" title="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ub">http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ub</a>

Patch pilot report: 2014-03-11

I only managed four uploads today. Each item needed a little more depth in some
way, so I ran out of time.

<a href="https://code.launchpad.net/~utlemming/ubuntu/trusty/open-vm-tools/lp1289564/+merge/210037" title="https://code.launchpad.net/~utlemming/ubuntu/trusty/open-vm-tools/lp1289564/+merge/210037">https://code.launchpad.net/~utlemming/ubuntu/trusty/open-vm-tools/lp1289...</a>
Looked good, but couldn't upload. Emailed DMB, permission obtained, and
uploaded.

<a href="https://code.launchpad.net/~sdeziel/ubuntu/precise/xl2tpd/fix-for-lp1244780/+merge/194247" title="https://code.launchpad.net/~sdeziel/ubuntu/precise/xl2tpd/fix-for-lp1244780/+merge/194247">https://code.launchpad.net/~sdeziel/ubuntu/precise/xl2tpd/fix-for-lp1244...</a>
<a href="https://code.launchpad.net/~sdeziel/ubuntu/saucy/xl2tpd/fix-for-lp1244780/+merge/203641" title="https://code.launchpad.net/~sdeziel/ubuntu/saucy/xl2tpd/fix-for-lp1244780/+merge/203641">https://code.launchpad.net/~sdeziel/ubuntu/saucy/xl2tpd/fix-for-lp124478...</a>
Checked with jdstrand who had reviewed this previously.

Server team meeting minutes: 2013-12-17

Meeting information

#ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 17 Dec at 16:09 — 16:20 UTC

Full logs at <a href="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-12-17-16.09.log.html" title="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-12-17-16.09.log.html">http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2...</a>

Meeting summary

This meeting was particularly quiet, presumably due to the upcoming holidays.

Actions still outstanding:

gaughen or jamespage or smoser: get all server blueprints represented at
/topic-t-servercloud-overview.html

Scott linked to <a href="http://kernel.ubuntu.com/benchmarking/" title="http://kernel.ubuntu.com/benchmarking/">http://kernel.ubuntu.com/benchmarking/</a>, which he said is really
nice benchmark data that the kernel team are working on.

Robie reported on

Patch pilot report: 2013-09-17

This was my first stint at piloting as a new uploader. Laney was on at
the same time and helped me out.

Server Team 20130917 meeting minutes

== Agenda ==

* Review ACTION points from previous meeting
* everyone spend extra time triaging bugs this week

* Saucy Development
* Release Tracking Bug Tasks - <a href="http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-s-tracking-bug-tasks.html#server" title="http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-s-tracking-bug-tasks.html#server">http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-s-tracking-bug-tasks.ht...</a>
* Blueprints - <a href="http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-s/group/topic-s-servercloud-overview.html" title="http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-s/group/topic-s-servercloud-overview.html">http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-s/group/topic-s-servercloud-overview.html</a>
* Ubuntu Server Team Events
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)
* Weekly Updates & Questions regarding Ubuntu ARM Server (rbasak)
* Open Discussion
* Announce next meeting date,