DevHeads.net

Postings by Christian Ehrhardt

Looking for example Package solving sysV+.service+.socket

sysV+.service+.socket and having only .socket running on install?

Hello everybody,
I want to know if there is any best practise / example on the following case:
A package that delivers:
- sysV init (for old style compat/backport or just happens to be there)
- .service supposed to replace the sysV
- the .service should be installed and enabled, but not started in postinst
- .socket installed and started on install supposed to be starting the
service when needed

I've hit a few cases like that now, and in most of them I see
- dh_installinit for sysV trumps dh_installsystemd/dh_syste

Call for testing to qemu -sandbox users

Hi,
TL;DR: If you enabled -sandbox in your Bionic qemu, please test the PPA [2]

Details:
There is a CVE [1] which we fixed in Cosmic [3], but are unsure to backport
to Bionic.
Reasons for that are:
- there is some regression risk associated which we want to minimize
- the sandbox feature it fixes is not enabled by default on Bionic (it is
in Cosmic)

Per discussion between me and the security Team there are two things gating
the backport of this to Bionic.
1. We'd want to know if anybody actually enables -sandbox explicitly in
Bionic?
2.

Globally refreshing new group membership - would be needed after some package installations

Hi,
In certain cases package installations will have to set up new groups,
mostly for access management.

Examples are:
- libvirt to access /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
- lxd to access /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket
- ...

Deprecation notice for mail-stack-delivery (dovecot) - planned to be dropped in 18.10

Hello,
since Ubuntu 18.04 has reached feature freeze we started to think about
18.10.
One of the changes ahead is the dropping of the mail-stack-delivery package
(part of dovecot).

This package was created a long time ago with the intend to simplify
several steps of a mail server setup, for example to get a safe ssl secured
default installation.
It is essentially almost only a postinst to set up some better defaults.

But the bit that I can derive from bug reports and such indicates that it
is almost unused these days and has become an unused maintenance debt (it
started to show it's age - no

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-09-19

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 19 Sep at 16:01; 16:23 UTC
* Full logs at
[[http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-09-19-16.01.log.html]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting"
started at 16:01.

* ''ACTION:'' nacc to write a release notes entry on ipv6 netboot
(carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' nacc to write a server guide entry on ipv6 netboot
(carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' rbasak to add maintainership info to mysql triag

Potential indirect fallout due to toolchain updates

Hi,
all of this is just FYI in case you run into something similar.

Recently nut became an FTBFS package, triggered by a combo of:
1. nut's build system having an error
2. nut has default hardening=+all
3. net-snmp configure options disabled -pie
4.

Polling for opinions on removing vm-builder, sandbox-upgrader and auto-upgrade-tester

Hi,
due to a few recent bugs in ubuntu-vm-builder I got reminded that whenever
vmbuilder comes up, people feel bad and have to excuse a lot as it is
essentially un-maintained.
All use-cases people seemed to care about are replaced by uvtool [1] which
is far more widely used.

I happened to realize that it was already tried to be removed for the same
reasons [2] in late 2013.
It was un-maintained then and hasn't changed.

There was a short flicker of an upstream community [3], but not enough to
consider it maintained at the moment.

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-07-11

Hi,
here a summary of the weekly IRC Server team meeting held today.

== Meeting information ==

* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 11 Jul at 16:01 — 16:31 UTC
* Full logs at [[
<a href="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-07-11-16.01.log.html" title="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-07-11-16.01.log.html">http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2...</a>
]]

== Meeting summary ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===

* ''ACTION:'' nacc to write a release notes entry on ipv6 netboot
(carried over)
* ''ACTION:'' nacc to write a server guide entry on ipv6 netboot (carried
over)
* ''ACTION:'' rbasak to add maintainership info to mysql triage pa

Is there a log of Proposed-Migration overrides?

Hi,
Sometimes part of that complexity maintaining a Distribution can be the
need of "forcing" proposed-migrations [1].

But I recently faced this from a different point of view.
I wondered about a package being in -updates and thought "was anything
forced when this migrated"?
As far as I asked around nobody knew any place this could be checked.

A log like this would allow three things:
- clarification if something was forced if ever in doubt
- tracking counts in that list would allow to identify issues that really
should be fixed to avoid forcing them "regularly"
- it could be an extra source

Is there a log of Proposed-Migration overrides?

Hi,
Sometimes part of that complexity maintaining a Distribution can be the
need of "forcing" proposed-migrations [1].

But I recently faced this from a different point of view.
I wondered about a package being in -updates and thought "was anything
forced when this migrated"?
As far as I asked around nobody knew any place this could be checked.

A log like this would allow three things:
- clarification if something was forced if ever in doubt
- tracking counts in that list would allow to identify issues that really
should be fixed to avoid forcing them "regularly"
- it could be an extra source

Kimchi & Ginger in Ubuntu outdated and broken - update or remove them

Hi Aline and Frederic,
I came along this issue to drop the libvirt-bin dependency [1], but I had
to realize that kimchi and ginger hang outdated in the archive since a way
too long time.

TL;DR:
- initial upload in wily
- no fix/update since then
- upstream development continued
- in newer releases broken lacking the upstream fixes
- upstream provides out of tree .debs to install

I hereby try to reach out to the maintainers that drove the initial uploads
into Ubuntu and the recent .deb packages hosted by the kimchi-project.

If you are willing and able to update kimchi/ginger to a working sta

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-05-09

Minutes and action items from today's server team meeting are now posted
and available here:
*https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-05-09-16.03.html
<https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-05-09-16.03.html>*

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

Server team meeting minutes: 2017-03-07

Minutes and action times from today's server team meeting are now posted
available here:
<a href="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-07-16.01.html" title="https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-03-07-16.01.html">https://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting....</a>

Next week's agenda is available here:
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting</a>

Thanks!

Pilot report

pad.lv/1668093 - some debugging, and setting up a bisect run to spot the
offending patch helping the reporter to get to upstream with better data.

pad.lv/1668557 - helped with performance analysis on IRC ending up
identifying the fix in linux-stable and the tuning to get it fixed.

Since proper triaging is one of the patch pilots tasks as well I was
looking at forgotten server bugs and eventually were triaging 100 (no fake,
It really sums up to exactly hundred 3+3+1+10+5+19+22+6+5+16+10 from our
triage queue) bugs that were still in "new" or had no update for quite a
while.
Not so much pilot-

Ask for guidance on packaging sources with multiple libraries

Hi,
I'm reaching out to you to get some guidance how to handle a soname
versioning issue I didn't face before.

*TL;DR:*
How to correctly package a source creating libraries with individual ABI's
bumped separately but that depend on each other and due to that ending up
in mixed versions in the executable after ld.so mapped in dependencies?
I'm reaching out to you as this is a case I have no experience with.
I've thought and discussed on several solutions but I'm sure on none of
them yet.

- Compat packages with symlinks to the new .so version as it has ABI
backward compat symbols
- Ha

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-11-22

Full report, more details and log available at:

<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20161122" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20161122">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20161122</a>

SummaryReview ACTION points from previous meeting

*ACTION:* jgrimm: send jamespage email about iscsitarget
- Done - no response yet, but started the thread

Server & Cloud Bugs & SRU/Pending Uploads (caribou)

- caribou: SRUs in play: dhclient, netcfg, qemu, libvirt
- others: libvirt, tgt, dovecot, qemu

Zesty Development

- In general we see merges coming in at a good pace compared to former
cycles.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (powersj)

- Wo

Handling qemu machine types for migration

Hello,
and thanks for your patience - sorry wall-of-text needed given the
complexity.

## TL;DR ##

- Qemu machine types are in a bad state since Wily potentially
affecting Live Migration, Safe/Restore and Upgrades.
- This is the proposal to clean those up and to define the method
on how to handle machine types and vmstate changes in the future.
- Target is that all live migrations from supported to newer
releases will work when the default machine type is used
- except for current Xenial/Wily hosts which will need at
least one reboot first to clean up the current issues

## Intr

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-07-05

Minutes

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

The discussion about "Review ACTION points from previous meeting" started
at 16:03.

Yakkety Development

The discussion about "Yakkety Development" started at 16:03.

*LINK:* <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule</a>
*LINK:* <a href="http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/" title="http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/">http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/</a>

*Release Bugs* (16:05)
*LINK:*
<a href="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server" title="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server">http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-y-tracking-bug-tasks.ht...</a>
*LINK:*
<a href="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-x-tracking-b" title="http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-x-tracking-b">http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-x-tracking-b</a>

Server team meeting minutes: 2016-05-31

== Meeting information ==
* #ubuntu-meeting: ubuntu-server-team, 31 May at 16:00 &mdash; 16:24 UTC
* Full logs at [[
<a href="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2016/ubuntu-meeting.2016-05-31-16.00.log.html" title="http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2016/ubuntu-meeting.2016-05-31-16.00.log.html">http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2016/ubuntu-meeting.2...</a>
]]

== Meeting summary ==

Skipping all empty sections
=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===

No old actions to review.
As a bit of a delayed action from two weeks ago nacc was telling us that
there will be a v2 of the importer tool this week.

=== Yakkety Development ===
The discussion about "Yakkety Development" started at 16:03.

* ''LINK:'' <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu" title="https://wiki.ubuntu">https://wiki.ubuntu</a>.

Server Teem Meeting Minutes

Hi,
FYI here the links to this and last weeks server Team meeting minutes.

<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20160126" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20160126">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20160126</a>
<a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20160119" title="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20160119">https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20160119</a>

tl;dr - everybody heads down getting things done towards 16.04

Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd